Sunday 14 August 2011

Thank you

I just wanted to take a bit of time to thank the people that have been there for me over the last few years. They may not always understand what I'm going through and they may struggle to know what to do to help, but they have always been there for me when I have really needed them and I am eternally grateful for this. I don't think I would have come this far if it wasn't for the people around me.

I have a wonderful mother who despite working extremely hard always makes sure I am okay and always does whatever she can to help me. I also have an amazing sister who is not good at the touchy-feely stuff and sympathy but who is quietly understanding and makes me feel like a normal person. We shop, we gossip, and I adore her children, when I feel low my niece and nephew are the first people I want to see. You can't be miserable when you are around two beautiful and energetic, cheeky monkeys!

My brother is the type of person who doesn't express his feelings willingly but on a few occasions I have seen his softer side and I know he would be there for me if I needed him. He is a wonderfully funny person and he never fails to cheer me up. His partner is also someone who has had a great impact on my recovery. When she first came into our family I was always in bed, always in agony and miserable. Gradually I have improved, but whenever I have had bumps in the road and moments of doubt I have been able to talk to her about it. She listens, she asks questions, and she does whatever she can to understand.

Last, but no where near least, is my friend Alice. I have known her for about 10 years but I never knew what a good and loyal person she truly is. She is always there for me and she brings a sense of normality to my life. I have days that I spend with her and I almost forget all about my illness and feel like I am myself again.

In the first few months of my illness I was told that one of the most important things was to have a good support network. I dismissed this and as a result I didn't feel like I had anyone to lean on. Since accepting that I need support things have become a lot easier for me, and I am so incredibly grateful to the people around me that have helped me see that I am not alone.

I love you all xxxx

Miss Alice Jessica Duffy and myself, she spoils me rotten =)

Some of the wonderful people in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments appreciated, don't just keep your opinions to yourself =)